exam questions

Exam PMP All Questions

View all questions & answers for the PMP exam

Exam PMP topic 1 question 448 discussion

Actual exam question from PMI's PMP
Question #: 448
Topic #: 1
[All PMP Questions]

A vendor informed the project manager that a critical resource will be on a long leave of absence. The project team reviewed the pending vendor deliverables and identified an alternative solution, but the solution will incur an additional cost. The project is currently on schedule and slightly under budget.
What should the project manager do next?

• A. Request a replacement resource
  • B. Perform a cost-benefit analysis
  • C. Implement risk responses
  • D. Perform Integrated Change Control
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
modsjunk
Highly Voted 1 year, 9 months ago
Selected Answer: B
shouldnt we do a CBA first before embarking on change request?
upvoted 6 times
leo_gold
1 year, 9 months ago
I’m thinking the same - but it seems the team already did that based on their recommendation for the new solution.. I’m not sure though.
upvoted 4 times
ea4e1f8
Most Recent 2 weeks, 5 days ago
The best course of action in this scenario is: B. Perform a cost-benefit analysis Here’s why: Before making any decisions, the project manager needs to evaluate the alternative solution, considering both the additional cost and the benefits it may bring to the project. A cost-benefit analysis will help determine whether the alternative solution is worth the extra expense and how it might impact the project's overall success. Once the analysis is completed, the project manager can decide whether to proceed with the alternative solution, request a replacement resource (Option A), or take other necessary actions such as implementing risk responses (Option C) or performing Integrated Change Control (Option D), if a change is required. Performing the cost-benefit analysis first ensures that any subsequent actions are well-informed and aligned with the project's objectives.
upvoted 1 times
Kim222
3 weeks ago
Selected Answer: D
Perform a cost-benefit analysis Isn't it conducted with stakeholders during requirements analysis?
upvoted 1 times
josephsafiran
8 months, 1 week ago
The project manager should choose option **D: Perform Integrated Change Control**. Integrated Change Control is a process that allows for changes to be made to a project in a controlled and coordinated manner. It involves reviewing all change requests, approving changes, and managing changes to deliverables, organizational process assets, project documents, and the project management plan. In this case, since the alternative solution will incur an additional cost, it's important to perform Integrated Change Control to assess the impact of the change on the project's scope, schedule, and budget, and to ensure that the change is properly documented and communicated to all stakeholders.
upvoted 1 times
ced45c8
8 months, 2 weeks ago
I answered B, but when I read people's comments and checked PMBOK, alternative analysis and cost-benefit analysis are tools and techniques for "perform an integrated change control process". means option B falls under D
upvoted 1 times
Psadon
9 months, 1 week ago
Option B: Performing a cost-benefit analysis is the most crucial step before making any decisions. This analysis should weigh the additional cost of the alternative solution against the potential impact of not having the resource (e.g., potential delays, reduced quality). If the benefits outweigh the costs, then the project manager can consider pursuing the alternative solution.
upvoted 1 times
odylec
9 months, 1 week ago
The answer is B. The PM must know the benefit of each solution
upvoted 1 times
Only12go
11 months ago
D. Perform Integrated Change Control. When a change in project scope or an alternative solution that incurs additional costs is identified, it's important to follow the change control process, which typically includes the Perform Integrated Change Control process. This process involves formally reviewing, approving, or rejecting changes to the project's scope, schedule, or budget. In this case, the project manager should initiate the change control process to evaluate the proposed alternative solution and its associated cost implications. Performing Integrated Change Control ensures that all stakeholders are informed, the impact of the change is assessed, and decisions are made in a structured manner. It helps maintain control over the project's scope, schedule, and budget while considering the trade-offs and implications of changes.
upvoted 2 times
adingmaki
11 months, 1 week ago
CBA IS AN INPUT TO PERFORM INTEGRATED CHANGE CONTROL.
upvoted 1 times
victory108
1 year ago
D. Perform Integrated Change Control
upvoted 1 times
abdelilahfa
1 year, 3 months ago
go with D
upvoted 2 times
Jamrock
1 year, 1 month ago
I do not see a need for a change request when it comes to a resource on a leave of absence. with a potential solution at hand we would analyze the cost and benefit first and implement if acceptable but to go through a change request process for a resource leaving and we are on schedule and under budget seems like overkill. I have never done that or seen that approach handled in that manner in 12 years.
upvoted 1 times
clarksu
1 year, 4 months ago
cost-benefit analysis is a tool of integrated change control , the best choice is now option D: Perform Integrated Change Control.
upvoted 3 times
adviselee
1 year, 4 months ago
I agree
upvoted 1 times
Jamrock
1 year, 1 month ago
disagree. I do not see a need for a change request when it comes to a resource on a leave of absence. with a potential solution at hand we would analyze the cost and benefit first and implement if acceptable but to go through a change request process for a resource leaving and we are on schedule and under budget seems like overkill. I have never done that or seen that approach handled in that manner in 12 years.
upvoted 1 times
adingmaki
11 months, 1 week ago
cost-benefit analysis is under perform integrated change control man. think of systems
upvoted 2 times
rajeshtk
1 year, 5 months ago
1) The Risk here is - Team member going on leave 2) Risk response strategy or Risk response plan - The team reviewed and proposed alternate solution 3) The next step would be Implement the Risk response strategy or Plan. I think the answer is "C". Any suggestion ?
upvoted 4 times
aqz_111
1 year, 3 months ago
yes, the project is below budget so the cost for alternative is not a problem. Why we have to do integrate change control? do you want to replace the resource? so the official answer is D
upvoted 1 times
Hung3102
1 year, 5 months ago
Agree with D. C. Implementing risk responses may not be necessary at this point since the identified alternative solution can address the issue, and the project team has already reviewed the pending vendor deliverables.
upvoted 1 times
Hung1
1 year, 4 months ago
D also include B. Performing a cost-benefit analysis is indeed an important step within the process of Integrated Change Control. However, in this particular scenario, the project manager should prioritize the process of performing Integrated Change Control as a whole before conducting a detailed cost-benefit analysis.
upvoted 2 times
emelba
1 year, 5 months ago
I go with C, Risks Responses
upvoted 1 times
jartavia05
1 year, 6 months ago
Option D is the correct answer. The key is when say: “ and identified an alternative solution”, once indentified a solution the next step is To perform integrated change.
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...