exam questions

Exam PMP All Questions

View all questions & answers for the PMP exam

Exam PMP topic 1 question 422 discussion

Actual exam question from PMI's PMP
Question #: 422
Topic #: 1
[All PMP Questions]

A project for Company A was successfully delivered within scope, schedule, and budget by the end of the last iteration. However, during the project celebration ceremony, one of the business stakeholders says they perceive the project as a failure as it did not add any business value.
What should the project manager have done to avoid this perception?

• A. Involved the business stakeholders in the sprint review
  • B. Defined product backlog priorities with the sponsor and key stakeholders to deliver business benefits
  • C. Implemented a closing survey for key stakeholders
  • D. Confirmed that there is a communications management plan in place to make business stakeholders aware of the success
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Adeshola1960
Highly Voted 1 year, 8 months ago
Selected Answer: B
B. Defining product backlog priorities with the sponsor and key stakeholders to deliver business benefits is an important step to ensure that the project is aligned with the business's needs and objectives, and that it delivers the expected value.
upvoted 14 times
B is referring to key stakeholders, we have concerns from business business stakeholder who may be not the key stakeholder Only A and D are referring to business stakeholders. Agree with Aish_, answer is D Its only a perception. This is the key. By having a well-defined communications management plan, the project manager can proactively communicate the project's successes, achievements, and the value it has delivered to the business stakeholders. This can help address any misperceptions and ensure that stakeholders are aware of the positive outcomes of the project.
upvoted 1 times
mjs
Highly Voted 1 year, 10 months ago
Selected Answer: D
It should be D, cause product backlog prioritization is product owner responsibility based on business Value
upvoted 11 times
ea4e1f8
Most Recent 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Alignment with Business Value: The core issue here is that the project, while successful in terms of scope, schedule, and budget, did not deliver the expected business value. By defining product backlog priorities with the sponsor and key stakeholders, the project manager would ensure that the work being done aligns closely with what the business needs and values. This approach helps to ensure that the deliverables not only meet technical requirements but also contribute directly to the organization's strategic objectives and business goals.
upvoted 1 times
tonybuivannghia
2 months ago
D is correct
upvoted 1 times
UppersquareCapital
5 months, 3 weeks ago
Selected Answer: A
The answer is A for me. The presence of the SH in the iteration review would have presented an opportunity to determine if the expected value was being delivered
upvoted 1 times
Bruce_Liu
7 months, 4 weeks ago
D did not address the issue directly.
upvoted 1 times
psvexam
8 months, 1 week ago
Ans A. question states iterations, which implies it is agile. If stakeholders attend reviews, this surprise could have been avoided.
upvoted 2 times
josephsafiran
8 months, 1 week ago
The project manager should have opted for B. Defined product backlog priorities with the sponsor and key stakeholders to deliver business benefits. Involving key stakeholders in defining the product backlog priorities ensures that the project delivers the maximum business value. This approach aligns the project outcomes with the business objectives and stakeholder expectations, thereby increasing the likelihood of the project being perceived as a success. Option D (Confirming the presence of a communications management plan) is important for ensuring effective communication, but it may not directly address the issue of delivering business value. Communication plans should include mechanisms for engaging stakeholders in defining project priorities.
upvoted 1 times
Only12go
11 months ago
B. Defined product backlog priorities with the sponsor and key stakeholders to deliver business benefits. To avoid the perception that the project did not add any business value, the project manager should have worked closely with the sponsor and key stakeholders to define clear product backlog priorities. This involves identifying and prioritizing the features, functionalities, or deliverables that would directly contribute to the achievement of business benefits. By aligning the project's goals and scope with the expected business value, the project manager can ensure that the project's outcomes are well-defined and understood by the stakeholders. This can help manage expectations and demonstrate the project's value throughout its execution.
upvoted 2 times
victory108
1 year ago
B. Defined product backlog priorities with the sponsor and key stakeholders to deliver business benefits
upvoted 1 times
Aish_
1 year, 1 month ago
Its only a perception. This is the key. By having a well-defined communications management plan, the project manager can proactively communicate the project's successes, achievements, and the value it has delivered to the business stakeholders. This can help address any misperceptions and ensure that stakeholders are aware of the positive outcomes of the project.
upvoted 2 times
kevzzz
1 year, 1 month ago
Remember communication is the key. The question asks, what should the project manager had DONE (Past Tense). A product backlog is a prioritized list of work for the development team that is derived from the roadmap and its requirements. The most important items are shown at the top of the product backlog so the team knows what to deliver first. If you are sharing this information with the stakeholders along with the business benefits then there is no complaints.
upvoted 1 times
B is referring to key stakeholders, we have concerns from business business stakeholder who may be not the key stakeholder
upvoted 1 times
AstridN
1 year, 2 months ago
A and C aren't options for me. I was going for B when I realized they wrote project manager, sponsor and stakeholders... I selected that one because there.s no mention of product owner in B.
upvoted 2 times
SteAle
1 year, 2 months ago
I would go with A. My assumption is that the entire product backlog has been delivered so all the features irrespective of their priority. Plus, its the PO's accountability to organize the backlog prioritization workshops/process
upvoted 1 times
Neil20
1 year, 3 months ago
D is correct!
upvoted 2 times
noppy
1 year, 3 months ago
I also think option A is the right answer as Solid_Jehuty answerd. This problem seems to have a few pitfalls. First, the person raising the issue is described as "one of the business stakeholders." However, option B uses the term "key stakeholders," which suggests that it may not include the specific "one of the business stakeholders" mentioned in the problem. Secondly, the issue raised in the problem is that it "did not add any business value.". "A communications management plan" refers to managing communication methods (such as email, meetings, face-to-face, etc.), not specifically adding business value. (If I have misunderstood anything, please let me know.) Therefore, I think option A is the correct answer, as it suggests involving "the business stakeholders" in the sprint review to verify whether business value has been added. (Of course, option C is not the correct answer. I don't believe that conducting a survey targeting "key stakeholders" would avoid this issue.)
upvoted 1 times
emelba
1 year, 4 months ago
B. The stakeholder's perception that the project failed to add business value indicates that there was a disconnect between the project's outcomes and the expectations of the business stakeholders. By defining product backlog priorities in collaboration with the sponsor and key stakeholders, the project manager can ensure that the project focuses on delivering the most valuable business benefits. By defining product backlog priorities in collaboration with the sponsor and key stakeholders, the project manager can align the project's outcomes with the expectations of the business stakeholders and ensure that the project adds the desired business value.
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...