exam questions

Exam PMP All Questions

View all questions & answers for the PMP exam

Exam PMP topic 1 question 439 discussion

Actual exam question from PMI's PMP
Question #: 439
Topic #: 1
[All PMP Questions]

During project execution, a conflict occurs between the project manager and one of the team members at every project team meeting. The ongoing conflict is preventing tasks and deliverables from being completed. The project manager contemplates changing their leadership style.
What should the project manager do?

• A. Review the set of responsibilities with the team member
  • B. Avoid the team member to prevent further conflicts
  • C. Escalate the situation to the project sponsor
  • D. Review the personnel skill documents
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
kevzzz
Highly Voted 1 year, 1 month ago
Selected Answer: C
From the PMI Website. The project manager should gain the trust of the sponsor and sustain it from initiation through closure. This helps ensure that he or she can escalate the issue at the right time. But you can't escalate every decision to the project sponsor, or else you will lose their attention when it's really necessary to escalate. Project managers should escalate decisions to the project sponsor when the following issues occur: ■ The problem impacts the ability to procure funding, commit resources or achieve project success. ■ There is no project support throughout the organization. ■ The decision requires authorization to change scope. ■ The decision will resolve a go/no-go situation. Deliverables are not getting completed which is a go/no-go situation.
upvoted 5 times
Hung3102
Highly Voted 1 year, 5 months ago
I think A. Escalating the situation to the project sponsor should be a last resort. The project manager should first try to resolve the conflict with the team member directly. If the situation cannot be resolved, the project manager should involve higher-level management, such as the functional manager, before escalating the situation to the project sponsor.
upvoted 5 times
JYKL88
1 year, 4 months ago
I think is A as well
upvoted 2 times
Kim222
Most Recent 3 weeks ago
Selected Answer: A
I Think this is A
upvoted 1 times
Psadon
9 months, 1 week ago
A. Review the set of responsibilities with the team member. This option suggests a proactive approach to address the conflict by revisiting and clarifying the roles and responsibilities of the team member. Clear communication about expectations can help mitigate misunderstandings and reduce conflict.
upvoted 2 times
Uncle_Lucifer
11 months ago
Selected Answer: D
Think with your #6. The PM contemplates changing their leadership style. No brainer --> D
upvoted 1 times
Uncle_Lucifer
10 months, 2 weeks ago
Meant A don't know how i selected D
upvoted 1 times
Only12go
11 months, 1 week ago
A. Review the set of responsibilities with the team member. In a situation where there is ongoing conflict between the project manager and a team member, it's important to first review and clarify the roles and responsibilities of both parties. This can help identify any misalignment or misunderstandings that may be contributing to the conflict. By having a clear discussion about roles and responsibilities, expectations can be set, and potential sources of conflict can be addressed. It's a proactive step to try to resolve the conflict and improve collaboration within the team. If the conflict persists, further actions may be necessary, but starting with clarification of responsibilities is a good initial approach.
upvoted 2 times
adingmaki
11 months, 1 week ago
It's C. The question is not what should the project management do. It's about leadership styles. https://www.pmi.org/learning/library/styles-leadership-avoid-mistakes-career-6280 Directive strikes negative emotions such as escalations.
upvoted 2 times
victory108
1 year ago
A. Review the set of responsibilities with the team member
upvoted 1 times
Akhundzada
1 year, 1 month ago
Addressing the conflict by reviewing the set of responsibilities can help clarify expectations and ensure that both the project manager and the team member have a clear understanding of their roles and responsibilities. Miscommunication or misunderstandings about roles can often be a source of conflict. By discussing and clarifying responsibilities, the project manager and team member can find common ground and avoid future conflicts related to role ambiguity.
upvoted 1 times
smartrammy
1 year, 2 months ago
A. Review the set of responsibilities with the team member
upvoted 2 times
aqz_111
1 year, 3 months ago
The conflict is between the PM and his team member. The question told me this PM's interpersonnel skill is very bad. If he escalate to the sponsor told me he does not wear the PM hat. We should hate the fact not the person. It is better to work out the role and responsibilities with that team member in order to resolve the conflict so i select A
upvoted 1 times
cwilson91
1 year, 3 months ago
A. Review the set of responsibilities with the team member: The project manager should have a one-on-one discussion with the team member involved in the conflict to review and clarify their roles and responsibilities. This discussion can help ensure that both the project manager and team member have a clear understanding of their respective roles, expectations, and boundaries. By aligning expectations, the project manager can reduce potential areas of conflict and increase clarity within the team.
upvoted 3 times
hihi2022
1 year, 7 months ago
I don't agree with escalating to project sponsor, should it be escalating the issue to functional manager?
upvoted 1 times
Cert_IT
1 year, 8 months ago
Selected Answer: D
I would go with D. you dont go to the Project sponsor unless its very very critical
upvoted 2 times
Franco11
1 year, 10 months ago
Why C ?
upvoted 4 times
thewatcher
1 year, 9 months ago
the question mentions the project manager thinking of changing their management style and the project manager avoiding a team member is not an option so the only possible choice in this list is escalation
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...