exam questions

Exam PMP All Questions

View all questions & answers for the PMP exam

Exam PMP topic 1 question 397 discussion

Actual exam question from PMI's PMP
Question #: 397
Topic #: 1
[All PMP Questions]

A project manager who is new to an organization observes that an approaching deadline is likely to be missed because there have been some delays on the project due to a lack of resources.
What should the project manager do next?

• A. Review the risk management plan to identify the response strategy.
  • B. Escalate the issue to the sponsor and debrief them about the situation.
  • C. Review the milestone list to determine which tasks can be fast-tracked.
  • D. Organize a team meeting to discuss the next course of action.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
AbbasTaki
Highly Voted 1 year, 3 months ago
Selected Answer: A
the project manager has observed an approaching deadline likely to be missed due to resource constraints, it is crucial to prioritize addressing the underlying issue of resource availability. Therefore, the project manager should first review the risk management plan to identify the response strategy and assess the impact of the resource constraints on the project timeline.
upvoted 6 times
SGproto
2 weeks, 4 days ago
This is simply stating the obvious regarding risk and response.. but what about always collaborate with the team first? Hint PM is new to org.
upvoted 1 times
Musaad
Most Recent 8 months ago
Selected Answer: D
PM is new to company he must meet with team to understand more about the project
upvoted 3 times
Lucky_Cindy
10 months, 3 weeks ago
A first then D
upvoted 4 times
SGproto
2 weeks, 4 days ago
My chain of thought was D seek the team first then A.. but I see your point.. do A as proactive individually (since there A has no decisions made) before then confirming with team D.
upvoted 1 times
Only12go
11 months, 1 week ago
In this scenario, where the project manager observes that an approaching deadline is likely to be missed due to resource constraints, the most appropriate next step would be: D. Organize a team meeting to discuss the next course of action. Gathering the project team together to discuss the situation is a proactive approach. The team can collectively brainstorm and identify potential solutions or actions to mitigate the resource-related delays and work towards meeting the deadline. It's important to involve the team in problem-solving and decision-making, as they may have valuable insights and suggestions. After the team meeting, if necessary, the project manager can consider escalating the issue to the sponsor and discussing potential solutions that have been identified.
upvoted 1 times
RestlessMonkey
11 months, 1 week ago
"is likely to be missed"= risk
upvoted 3 times
nemm235
11 months, 3 weeks ago
A. Review the risk management plan to identify the response strategy in the documents which is already defined my the previous PM and then D. Organize a team meeting to discuss the next course of action or appropriate action.
upvoted 2 times
AmitBI
1 year ago
Review the risk management plan to identify the response strategy. Because whether PM is new or old to the organization, first thing to do always check Risk Management plan which should have identified risks and their responses.Part of the response might to be check with the team for alternatives on the lack of resources
upvoted 1 times
Fyrus
1 year ago
"Oh, but the PM is new" Yeah, be a senior and search things by yourself first, get some context, some ideas, read the documentation, search, do some work by yourself, and then call the meeting with the team otherwise you will go to the meeting with the team as a junior without any clue of what to do and being carried by people your entire life. The first thing I always ask the most junior resources I follow before giving any help is "Have you tried to google it?" I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for help if you are senior or ask other people's opinions, thoughts, etc... just saying that you should first look at things by yourself
upvoted 2 times
victory108
1 year ago
D. Organize a team meeting to discuss the next course of action
upvoted 1 times
Aish_
1 year, 1 month ago
Given that the project manager is new to the organization and might not have a full understanding of the existing risk management plan, it would be more practical to start by organizing a team meeting to discuss the situation (option D). This approach allows the project manager to gather insights from team members who are familiar with the project and its challenges. After understanding the details, the project manager could then review the risk management plan (option A) to identify appropriate strategies for addressing the resource delays.
upvoted 1 times
AlekhyaT
1 year, 3 months ago
As PM is new, consult the team before taking a decision
upvoted 1 times
mangostiffy
1 year, 4 months ago
I'll go with D. Option A should be a review of the risk registor rather than the risk management plan.
upvoted 2 times
Hung3102
1 year, 5 months ago
D. Risk does not became issue yet.
upvoted 2 times
meetkamal
1 year, 7 months ago
Going with D
upvoted 1 times
PMPStudent
1 year, 9 months ago
A OR D? I believe it is A, because things like these you anticipate during the project planning and add them to the risk register along with a mitigation plan. When risks become issues, the first thing you will do is look at the risk management plan and see if this risk was captured and if a risk response exists (fallback plan). If you don't find a risk response in the risk management plan, then it makes sense to organize a team meeting to come up with a "Workaround" plan for the unidentified risk.
upvoted 4 times
PMPStudent
1 year, 9 months ago
After reconsidering my answer, I believe D is correct. The reason is that the PM is new to the organization, this is a new domain for him. It is best for the new guy to always collaborate with the team members to understand what the challenges are and why resources are not available before he jumps to a resolution. If the PM was not new to the organization, then I would have definitely selected A.
upvoted 1 times
leo_gold
1 year, 9 months ago
despite if the project manager is new to this project - its common sense to refer to the risk management plan to see id this risk already documented there or not. this is what I will do before calling for a meeting to brainstorm the situation with the team. can you guys validate my point here and provide your thoughts?
upvoted 1 times
leo_gold
1 year, 9 months ago
I changed my mind -- it should be D. basically no where in the question said this risk which became issue now was identified. so meeting with the team is the answer..
upvoted 1 times
Franco11
1 year, 10 months ago
I am gonna go with D
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...