exam questions

Exam PMP All Questions

View all questions & answers for the PMP exam

Exam PMP topic 1 question 523 discussion

Actual exam question from PMI's PMP
Question #: 523
Topic #: 1
[All PMP Questions]

Team members are having a discussion with the project manager. In the last retrospective meeting, the team realized that the obsolete equipment could affect the next iteration of the project. The team recommends buying new equipment because it is critical to the success of the final deliverable.
What should the project manager do next?

• A. Check the project budget to verify if there is enough contingency reserve
  • B. Review the cost management plan to determine how to address this issue
  • C. Tell the team members that more equipment is not part of the project's scope
  • D. Submit a change request to increase the budget and buy new equipment
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
[Removed]
Highly Voted 1 year, 11 months ago
Selected Answer: A
Gonna go with A. This is a contingency, so its an unplanned cost. The cost management plan will only cover planned costs, when someone asks you "We need something thats not been planned for" you should first ask them why, in this case they've given you why and thats not an option, so A is the absolute best answer here.
upvoted 8 times
Bobbie30
1 year, 9 months ago
I was going to go with B but from your explanation it's clear that A is the answer. Thanks for this huge eye-opener!
upvoted 1 times
leo_gold
1 year, 9 months ago
I agree! hope you passed your exam already. I really appreciate your explanations.
upvoted 1 times
Kim222
Most Recent 3 weeks ago
Selected Answer: B
It is also a good idea to check your reserves. However, you should first carefully consider whether there are other alternatives. Checking your reserves is one option.
upvoted 1 times
DavidTri
2 months, 2 weeks ago
B - because we need to check the budget on cost management plan document to address solution for the issue
upvoted 2 times
Pmpjune152024
3 months, 2 weeks ago
The cost management plan outlines the procedures and guidelines for managing project costs, including addressing unexpected expenses or changes in resource requirements.
upvoted 1 times
Mohammad707
8 months, 4 weeks ago
Contingency reserve is allocated for the pre-defined risks only, while the management reserve is allocated for the un-defined risks. the question didn't indicate if this a pre defined risk or not.. therefore, i can't cosume the contengency reserve. the cost managment plan has all the answers on what, how, when the project budget will be spent.
upvoted 1 times
LeoChu
9 months, 4 weeks ago
Contingency reserves are more specific and are based on current budget line items. A management reserve is added to cover additional uncertainty not foreseen in the budget. So A contingency reserve is not for that
upvoted 3 times
UppersquareCapital
8 months, 4 weeks ago
You are absolutely correct with your explanation.
upvoted 1 times
cb4a6c4
9 months, 4 weeks ago
Check if contingency funds are available first.
upvoted 1 times
Only12go
11 months ago
B. Review the cost management plan to determine how to address this issue. B then A
upvoted 1 times
adingmaki
11 months, 3 weeks ago
2.8.5.3 Management and Contingency Reserve Reserve is an amount of time or budget set aside to account for handling risks. Contingency reserve is set aside to address identified risks should they occur. Management reserve is a budget category used for unknown events such as unplanned, in-scope work.
upvoted 1 times
victory108
1 year ago
Selected Answer: A
A. Check the project budget to verify if there is enough contingency reserve
upvoted 2 times
miggykurkova
1 year ago
PM always "review xx plan " first
upvoted 2 times
AstridN
1 year, 2 months ago
It's so confusing...we have 2 most voted answers A & B and B as highlighted correct answer. As a student, not sure about my answer, I don't know which one to consider as the right one... I'm bawling.
upvoted 2 times
kevzzz
1 year, 3 months ago
What do you do FIRST... The cost management plan will tell you if you have a contingency reserve.
upvoted 3 times
AbbasTaki
1 year, 3 months ago
What if no more contingency reserves are there ? reviewing the cost management plan must be done first.
upvoted 3 times
YOLO28
1 year, 5 months ago
Selected Answer: D
According to Chat GPT: The correct answer is D. Submit a change request to increase the budget and buy new equipment. If the team has identified that obsolete equipment could negatively affect the project's final deliverable, it is the responsibility of the project manager to take action to mitigate the risk. In this case, the team has recommended purchasing new equipment, which suggests that it is the most appropriate solution to the problem. Therefore, the project manager should submit a change request to increase the project budget and buy new equipment. Options A and B suggest that the project manager should review the project budget or cost management plan, which is a good practice but doesn't address the issue at hand. Option C is not a viable solution since it ignores the team's recommendations and risks the success of the final deliverable.
upvoted 1 times
YOLO28
1 year, 5 months ago
Actually, I think it is the answer is A. Chat GPT missed the point of the question of what should the project manager do NEXT (which is to verify a reserve exists)
upvoted 1 times
SynikalDemon
1 year, 2 months ago
I think you're right. Chat GPT gave me a long answer, I am not going to paste the whole thing, but here are the first two steps. 1. Evaluate the recommendation: Review the team's concerns regarding the obsolete equipment and assess the potential impact on the project's success. Consider the team's expertise and the significance of the equipment in delivering the final product. 2. Assess the budget: Determine whether there are sufficient funds available to invest in new equipment. Evaluate the cost implications, including procurement, installation, training, and maintenance expenses. If the budget is limited, explore alternative options such as leasing or renting the equipment.
upvoted 1 times
Hung3102
1 year, 5 months ago
I will go with A
upvoted 1 times
sanjiiv
1 year, 6 months ago
I will go with B
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...