exam questions

Exam PMP All Questions

View all questions & answers for the PMP exam

Exam PMP topic 1 question 19 discussion

Actual exam question from PMI's PMP
Question #: 19
Topic #: 1
[All PMP Questions]

A project manager is working with a co-located agile project team that has worked together long enough to be in the performing phase of team development. An unforeseen event has caused the team to be dispersed and they are now unable to co-locate.
What should the project manager do to keep the team performing as effectively as possible?

• A. Ask the project sponsor and executive stakeholders to encourage the team to maintain their performance
  • B. Provide the team with virtual collaboration software and training on the software to minimize disruption
  • C. Transition the team from an agile approach to a predictive approach for better performance control
  • D. Evaluate project performance and step in if performance decreases to an unacceptable level
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Ab5434
Highly Voted 1 year, 9 months ago
Selected Answer: D
Dear professors in the field of project management, please pay attention to the question! There have been no problems yet and no communication requirements have been raised that we need to teach them about the software. We monitor the process and if there is a problem, we take action.
upvoted 36 times
nilopo
11 months, 1 week ago
If you are a reactive PM, then you are doomed to fail! PM's should always be proactive!!
upvoted 7 times
ali514
1 year ago
if you notice its also mentioned .what should the pm do to ''keep the team performing''? so in that case we cant wait for the performance to decreases.
upvoted 4 times
JYKL88
1 year, 4 months ago
Ans D means that you are waiting for things to happen. So I will go for B. Why wait for performance to drop then take action? Do something to prevent it rather than fixing it
upvoted 17 times
AnantSharma
9 months, 2 weeks ago
Dear Mr. ARROGANT (that you proved by calling others as professors) your explanation goes on to prove that you are not only arrogant but lack clarity on concepts like proactive actions. I sense you must have heard about COVID? If a similar pandemic happens again do you think Manufacturing plants' employees will wait for situation to get out of hand and then deploy the solution? Do you drive? If yes then don't you wear the seat belt to ensure nothing bad happens? That's proactive thinking. That's what others WHO YOU DEMEANED BY CALLING Professors are taking about. bet you can't be a good servant leader
upvoted 6 times
leo_gold
Highly Voted 1 year, 9 months ago
the question didn't say the performance dropped! so why do you put in cost of virtual tools?? first monitor the performance as (D) and step in if the performance dropped and suggest (A). this is how I see it.
upvoted 13 times
Acumen88
1 year, 3 months ago
This is a typical agile question on team collaboration; the word "performing" doesn't mean performance; it's the last stage of team bonding after norming stage. It means the team needs to collaborate on the role. The answer should be B; since they can't co-locate, they need virtual interaction to maintain the team bond.
upvoted 8 times
harsh8434
1 year, 2 months ago
Performing definitely means performance, what else would be the criteria to decide the stages of team, if team is not performing team will stay in earlier stages
upvoted 2 times
summercoke77
1 year, 7 months ago
but it does say it has cause issues with the team right? just the -ve impact is not shown yet and it is almost common sense that proactive measure as to be taken to prevent the issues from even occurred. .. that is my understanding
upvoted 1 times
23169fd
Most Recent 1 week ago
Selected Answer: B
be proactive
upvoted 1 times
arocker1000
1 month, 3 weeks ago
Opt D is correct
upvoted 1 times
Snailtan
4 months ago
Proactive approach vice a reactive approach that may be too late to implement once risks become issues. Remember, adapting to change is essential in project management. Equipping the team with the right tools ensures they can continue performing effectively
upvoted 1 times
ompk
4 months, 1 week ago
I believe its B. the question clearly stated that an issue happened that might turn into risk(not yet risk) which may affect disruption or team performance so what should PM do to either take an action (B) or wait (D) ?? since the team's way of work changed from "co-locate" to remote so there is high chance of work disruption for which team member may need help to use virtual tools. am i right guys?
upvoted 1 times
Karan1102
5 months, 1 week ago
The best course of action for the project manager is B. Provide the team with virtual collaboration software and training on the software to minimize disruption.
upvoted 1 times
Ayinor
5 months, 3 weeks ago
At the performing phase of team development, the team is already highly productive and efficient, with an established flow of work. It is the final stage of work where performance of the project is evaluated. The team has gone past the intervention stage where the tools in B are needed.
upvoted 2 times
mdkhassan
6 months ago
As the project manager, to keep the team performing as effectively as possible despite being dispersed, the most appropriate action to take would be option B: Provide the team with virtual collaboration software and training on the software to minimize disruption.
upvoted 2 times
09e9f80
6 months, 2 weeks ago
B is the right answer
upvoted 1 times
hoomz
7 months, 1 week ago
D suggests a reactive approach. It implies waiting until performance has potentially been impacted before taking action, which could result in delays or reduced productivity. It's important to maintain the agile processes and mindset the team has developed, and virtual tools are the best proxy for the face-to-face interaction that is a hallmark of agile team collaboration.
upvoted 2 times
Trytrio
7 months, 2 weeks ago
Its B for sure
upvoted 1 times
Davard
8 months, 1 week ago
Option B is the most appropriate response in this situation. Providing the team with virtual collaboration software and training helps facilitate remote communication and collaboration, minimizing the impact of the team's dispersion. This allows the team to continue working effectively even when not co-located. Option D involves stepping in if performance decreases, which is reactive. Providing tools and training (Option B) is a proactive approach to prevent or minimize disruption.
upvoted 1 times
BuviD
8 months, 2 weeks ago
B. Provide the team with virtual collaboration software and training on the software to minimize disruption
upvoted 1 times
Mamoonpk
10 months ago
Take action when needed
upvoted 1 times
edueneas
10 months, 3 weeks ago
In answer D, the phrase "step in if performance decreases to an unacceptable level" made me to choose B. Isn't that too strong? Why should I let the thing going in this way?
upvoted 2 times
Tuanit
11 months, 3 weeks ago
In my real projects, B is always the action I should take to make sure team's performance will not be impacted. And if I don't proactively take this action and let issues arise, clients will not be happy and everyone will think I'm passive. However, in PMP exam I'm told to consider ideal agile environment where team is self-org. Additionally, the question emphasizes that team is mature and high performance already so they know how to fix the issues themselves and SM/PM should empower them solve issues themselves.
upvoted 4 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...