exam questions

Exam PL-300 All Questions

View all questions & answers for the PL-300 exam

Exam PL-300 topic 2 question 4 discussion

Actual exam question from Microsoft's PL-300
Question #: 4
Topic #: 2
[All PL-300 Questions]

You have a Power BI query named Sales that imports the columns shown in the following table.

Users only use the date part of the Sales_Date field. Only rows with a Status of Finished are used in analysis.
You need to reduce the load times of the query without affecting the analysis.
Which two actions achieve this goal? Each correct answer presents a complete solution.
NOTE: Each correct selection is worth one point.

• A. Remove the rows in which Sales[Status] has a value of Canceled.
  • B. Remove Sales[Sales_Date].
  • C. Change the data type of Sale[Delivery_Time] to Integer.
  • D. Split Sales[Sale_Date] into separate date and time columns.
  • E. Remove Sales[Canceled Date].
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: AE 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
bjornopjemic
Highly Voted 2 years, 1 month ago
A, only records with state finished are used D, personally I would transform the column to a date format and not split it since only the date part is used Not E, All the cancelled rows are already deleted with A and when a order is not cancelled it will contain a null value
upvoted 107 times
1CY1
1 month, 1 week ago
Each answer represents a complete solution. -> D cannot be correct as it is not a complete solution. -> A, E : Correct.
upvoted 3 times
Mo2011
5 months ago
No, option E is about delete the Canceled Date fileld not the rows
upvoted 3 times
cnmc
1 year, 10 months ago
Splitting the column without deleting one of them isn't going to do anything for performance. And you're right that if step A is done then the cancelled_date column will only contain null values. But reducing the number of columns is going to improve the performance - even if that column is all null.
upvoted 15 times
otapi
7 months, 2 weeks ago
AE is correct: 'Each correct answer presents a complete solution.' E presents a complete solution on its own without A.
upvoted 9 times
AB_111
1 day, 15 hours ago
Can you explain why option E is a complete solution?
upvoted 1 times
evipap
Highly Voted 1 year, 11 months ago
Selected Answer: AE
It says: You need to reduce the LOAD times of the query without affecting the analysis. Only answers A and E can reduce the load times. D may reduce only the time needed to process the data. Someone said that E is not the answer because: "All the cancelled rows are already deleted with A and when a order is not cancelled it will contain a null value". You must read again the decription cause it says " Each answer presents a COMPLETE solutiuon" not part of a solution.
upvoted 58 times
Maniula
1 year, 3 months ago
You focus too much on load. Answer E doesn't resolve the date part of the question. Splitting columns is correct, not E.
upvoted 3 times
EwoutBI
1 year, 2 months ago
The 'date part of the question' is not a requirement, it's not like the time is negatively impacting the users.
upvoted 1 times
semauni
1 year, 6 months ago
"Separate date and time, if bound together. If any of your tables have columns that combine date and time, make sure that you separate them into distinct columns before importing them into Power BI. This approach will increase compression abilities." Source: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/training/modules/get-data/8-performance-issues
upvoted 5 times
TMOTM
1 month, 1 week ago
isn't that about model / file size though? not load time?
upvoted 1 times
taod
1 year, 1 month ago
I was on the Track of AD, but I think you are right. Splitting up [Sale_Date] alone doesn't help us with faster load times (the question is not about performance). Also, analyzing the two options separately ("Each correct answer presents a complete solution"), deleting [Canceled_Date] for sure is a right answer.
upvoted 5 times
reignreign03
11 months, 3 weeks ago
I agree here as well. Choosing D (splitting up [Sales_Date]) may even increase the LOAD time of the query, even though it might decrease its PROCESSING time. E (removing [Canceled_Date]) on the other hand removes an entire column to be loaded, thereby decreasing the LOAD time.
upvoted 5 times
kenyJen
Most Recent 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Said AD fisrt. But I changed my mind. D improves the analysis but doesn't change the performance, while D does.
upvoted 1 times
kenyJen
1 month, 2 weeks ago
E I meant. So AE my answer
upvoted 1 times
rcaliandro
2 months, 1 week ago
Selected Answer: AD
I don't agree with the community in my opinion A and D are the correct ones.
upvoted 2 times
rcaliandro
1 month, 3 weeks ago
I changed my mind. The Canceled Date is not useful in the analysis so AE is the correct for me
upvoted 2 times
niceguysfinishlast
3 months ago
A and D. As E removing column doesn't decrease load time as query load time is dependent on the number of rows in the dataset. SInce rows will remain the same even after E, and the time taken to reach the bottom of the query is still the same. removing rows is actually where you save query load time. So A and D
upvoted 2 times
IvanBolvan
4 months, 4 weeks ago
I think it's DE. We need optimize only loading time, so A will reduces amount of rows we are loading, but Power Query must go through all dataset to delete specified values, so it takes more time than delete entire column
upvoted 1 times
adriankohws
5 months ago
D is not correct not considering whether it affects the performance but remember question said that they wished to analyse the data with the column Sales_Date but they didn't say they not including time for analysis.
upvoted 1 times
yaya32
5 months, 2 weeks ago
I think AE is correct
upvoted 6 times
Mo2011
5 months ago
I agree.
upvoted 1 times
ELJORDAN23
6 months ago
Answer A is obvious. I choose answer E because we want to analyze the rows with Status = Finished, that implies that every record in the analysis would have the Canceled_Date = null. That column would add nothing to the report, so we could safely drop it and that would improve a little the load time.
upvoted 3 times
fpb
6 months, 2 weeks ago
E will improve load time, nor D
upvoted 1 times
ab97776
6 months, 3 weeks ago
i was mixing up load times and processing times. option D could potentially increase loading time, it would decrease processing time. processing time is for calculations, load time...is for loading
upvoted 3 times
AZFabio
7 months, 2 weeks ago
A, D and E are correct, but since we need to choose only 2, then A & D
upvoted 1 times
benni_ale
7 months, 2 weeks ago
D does not reduce load times. Probably it increases it. If we remove rows with Status = Cancelled then Canceled Date would always be null so we better remove the column and then option E becomes better than D.
upvoted 3 times
benni_ale
7 months, 2 weeks ago
D does not reduce anything
upvoted 1 times
N_A_MMI
7 months, 2 weeks ago
Answer: AD Explanation: A: Removing uninteresting rows will increase query performance. D: Splitting the Sales_Date column will make comparisons on the Sales date faster. The Power BI Desktop data model only supports date/time, but they can be formatted as dates or times independently. Date/Time – Represents both a date and time value. Underneath the covers, the Date/Time value is stored as a Decimal Number Type. Since there's a T in the dates column before split, it's saved as a source text value. Splitting converts it to a numeric value. This reduces the size.
upvoted 1 times
AxiansPT
8 months, 2 weeks ago
Option A is obvious. Option D reduces the cardinality of the column which can have a huge impact in the loading time of the model.
upvoted 2 times
Ge3ky
8 months, 4 weeks ago
Keeping dateatime column as whole hurt Power BI Performance.
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...