Exam AZ-104 All Questions

View all questions & answers for the AZ-104 exam

Exam AZ-104 topic 6 question 15 discussion

Actual exam question from Microsoft's AZ-104
Question #: 15
Topic #: 6
[All AZ-104 Questions]

HOTSPOT -
You have an Azure App Service plan named ASP1.
CPU usage for ASP1 is shown in the following exhibit.

Use the drop-down menus to select the answer choice that completes each statement based on the information presented in the graphic.
NOTE: Each correct selection is worth one point.
Hot Area:

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer:
Box 1: four times -
From the exhibit we see that the time granularity is 6 hours: Last 30 days (Automatic - 6 hours).
CPU Percentage Last days Automatic - hours

Box 2: scaled up -
Scale up when:
* You see that your workloads are hitting some performance limit such as CPU or I/O limits.
* You need to quickly react to fix performance issues that can't be solved with classic database optimization.
* You need a solution that allows you to change service tiers to adapt to changing latency requirements.
Reference:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/essentials/metrics-troubleshoot https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/scaling-out-vs-scaling-up

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
awssecuritynewbie
Highly Voted 1 year, 11 months ago
so to just explain a bit better hopefully :) look at the top right you can see it is auto updated every 6 hours so within 24hours it is checked 4 times (4*6=24h) . It would need to scale up to have a bigger CPU to support the load that is getting as it is currently 100%
upvoted 70 times
DeBoer
1 year, 7 months ago
Agree with the first answer, disgress on the second. Scaling up will incur the new, higher, cost at all times. You can alsow get more power into the app by scaling OUT; if you automate with autoscaling you can get the costs much lower. The AVERAGE usage is pretty low - so this app should scale out/in pretty well https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/architecture/best-practices/auto-scaling
upvoted 11 times
Batiste2023
10 months, 1 week ago
As for the second question: this is about an app plan and the only scaling that can be done here is scale up (or down).
upvoted 3 times
Batiste2023
10 months, 1 week ago
Also, given the fact, that the average CPU usage is creeping somewhere between 0-10% all the time, scaling down seems the much more appropriate choice here!
upvoted 5 times
Watcharin_start
6 months, 3 weeks ago
In this graph, it was shown for the CPU percentage(also meant CPU usage in percent). The calculation for maximum used is hitting to 100% but you could be seen AVG is low cause it has a shot time peak not all-time peak. This answer should be scaling up.
upvoted 1 times
Mohaamed
Highly Voted 1 year, 9 months ago
Answer is correct Box 1 : look at the top right of the picture it says 6 hours so 24hours/6hours = 4 times box2: this is app plan and VM so you scale up only
upvoted 15 times
23169fd
Most Recent 3 months, 1 week ago
4 times Scale out: This means adding more instances to distribute the load Scale up :This means increasing the resources (CPU, memory) of the existing instances. => Scale out will be a better option
upvoted 3 times
bombat27
4 months, 2 weeks ago
I don't see why people are saying scale up/out. It's averaging 3% cpu usage.
upvoted 2 times
[Removed]
8 months, 2 weeks ago
In real life, seeing the usage report, I would honestly scale the app down. It's barely using its CPU resources except the occasional spikes - probably because some job is running at that time. To save on costs and have better resource optimisation, I would scale it down. The exception to this rule would be that if during peak times, when the CPU is at 100%, the application is having performance issues that affect end users or causes whatever job runs on it to fail. If not, then I don't really care if the CPU peaks 100% and it would be better to have constant usage, let's say in the 50-60% on average with the occasional 100% spikes than just keeping the CPU almost idle for the majority of the time. If this comes in my exam I will answer 4 times and scale down.
upvoted 5 times
[Removed]
8 months, 2 weeks ago
Sorry I mean 6 times and scale down.
upvoted 2 times
Exams_Prep_2021
8 months, 3 weeks ago
in exam 26/12/2023
upvoted 3 times
AliNadheer
9 months, 1 week ago
question 15 Box1: 4 Box2: scale up app service plan can scale up and scale out depending on the app service tier, i assume this is shared compute tier as there is no mention of it being premium or isolated tier in the question. unless i missed some detail. however based on the exhibit it shows cpu is 100% most of the time, which in my openion we should tier up and scale out.
upvoted 2 times
AliNadheer
9 months, 1 week ago
i meant to say: however based on the exhibit it shows cpu is 100% most of the time, which in my opinion we should scale out.
upvoted 1 times
AliNadheer
9 months, 1 week ago
Shared compute: Free and Shared, the two base tiers, runs an app on the same Azure VM as other App Service apps, including apps of other customers. These tiers allocate CPU quotas to each app that runs on the shared resources, and the resources cannot scale out. These tiers are intended to be used only for development and testing purposes. Dedicated compute: The Basic, Standard, Premium, PremiumV2, and PremiumV3 tiers run apps on dedicated Azure VMs. Only apps in the same App Service plan share the same compute resources. The higher the tier, the more VM instances are available to you for scale-out. Isolated: The Isolated and IsolatedV2 tiers run dedicated Azure VMs on dedicated Azure Virtual Networks. It provides network isolation on top of compute isolation to your apps. It provides the maximum scale-out capabilities. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/overview-hosting-plans
upvoted 1 times
clg003
9 months, 3 weeks ago
I would scale down... maxes only matter if its causing issues and you can tell by the avg it isn't an issue. We do this stuff every single year. I would get no support to scale this app if it was performing as such. This thing could be hitting 100 just on its boot 1x day.
upvoted 1 times
AZPRAC
11 months ago
Passed my exam on 15 OCT. This question was in the exam. Thanks ET Team.
upvoted 3 times
sardonique
11 months, 2 weeks ago
Mlantonis we desperately need you
upvoted 6 times
LemonVine
1 year ago
I took the exam around 14th of Aug, this question came out... too bad I did not go thru this question before the exam
upvoted 2 times
riccardoto
1 year ago
Microsoft will really like your answers on theh second box, but dudes, really, would you really scale up or out an App service that only has less than 4% average CPU utilization ? Sizing resources based on the Max CPU maybe would be OK for a really latency-critical application, but for most "human" scenarios I would actually scale down. Happy to be disrpoved, but maybe I'm just used to work in companies that are more attentive to costs than you guys here ;-)
upvoted 8 times
Superego
1 year, 1 month ago
Box 2: Scale Up. https://azure.microsoft.com/en-au/resources/cloud-computing-dictionary/scaling-out-vs-scaling-up/ Scale up when: 1. You see that your workloads are hitting some performance limit such as CPU or I/O limits. 2. You need to quickly react to fix performance issues that can't be solved with classic database optimization. 3. You need a solution that allows you to change service tiers to adapt to changing latency requirements. Scale out when: 1. You have geo-distributed applications where every app should access part of the data in the region. Each app will access only the shard associated to that region without affecting other shards. 2. You have a global sharding scenario—such as load balancing—where you have a large number of geo-distributed clients that insert data in their own dedicated shards. 3. You've maxed out your performance requirements, even in the highest performance tiers of your service, or if your data cannot fit into a single database.
upvoted 1 times
ValB
10 months, 3 weeks ago
That article is very specific to database scalability. We are talking here of CPU scalability.
upvoted 1 times
Rams_84zO6n
1 year, 5 months ago
Four times, scaled up - First observation - 30 days - 30 peaks (roughly) in average graph. So focus on a single day - how max cpu graph can be averaged over a time window to get the average graph. A 1 hr window would vary rapidly, a 24 hour window would be smooth as silk - a 6 hr window would give the current smoothness of the average graph - so average CPU calculated 4 times per day. From max graph, it looks like the web app is going through CPU deprivation so a scale up would definitely help alleviate the current issues with performance. Honestly - a 6 hour moving window for average graph would be calculated much more than 4 times a day, but it is the best answer from given data.
upvoted 3 times
ChakaZilly
1 year, 6 months ago
The second box, I would say: scale down: Avg CPU is only 4% (occasional spikes of 100% don' t matter that much).
upvoted 9 times
Gzt
1 year, 6 months ago
Agree. Especially who works with SCOM is understanding it ;)
upvoted 1 times
jp_mcgee
1 year, 10 months ago
Box2 should be Scaled Out. The average CPU is <10%, and we see occasional and continuous spikes over 70%. This says that most of the time the hardware is barely used (<10%), and we need to autoscale when there is a heavy load (>70%). Scaling up to a new SKU (scaling vertically) has a limit and is kind of old school and a waste of money during inactivity (<10%). Azure gives us the ability to scale out to more infrastructure when needed and scale in when the infrastructure is not in demand.
upvoted 2 times
Lexxsuse
1 year, 9 months ago
I would agree that scaling out seems a better idea, since the instance is already underutilized most of the time.
upvoted 1 times
mung
1 year, 9 months ago
Scale out = Add more CPU to the VM Scale up = Reduce CPU from the VM Your explanation is correct though.
upvoted 1 times
chikorita
1 year, 7 months ago
funniest answer i've ever seen
upvoted 4 times
PCG1
1 year, 9 months ago
No. "You scale up by changing the pricing tier of the App Service plan that your app belongs to. Scale out: Increase the number of VM instances that run your app."
upvoted 4 times
jp_mcgee
1 year, 9 months ago
Read the auto-scaling section here for why vertical/scale-up is a bad idea for this scenario: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/cloud-computing-dictionary/scaling-out-vs-scaling-up/#autoscaling
upvoted 1 times
jp_mcgee
1 year, 9 months ago
Scale-up by changing the pricing tier is manual unless you build something to scale-up and hopefully scale-down. Scale-up means your employer/customer is paying for worst-case scenario all of the time.....OUCH!!! This works, technically, but is a waste of money and resources. Scale-out with auto-scaling means your employer/customer only pays for the additional CPU when it's needed. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/apps-on-azure-blog/azure-app-service-automatic-scaling/ba-p/2983300
upvoted 5 times
xRiot007
1 year, 3 months ago
You need to optimize CPU usage, not cost, so a scale up will solve your spike problems. Depending on the business requirements, your client might be willing to pay for the "worst-case" scenario all the time, if that scenario happens 100 times a day and the app needs to always perform well.
upvoted 3 times
djgodzilla
1 year, 6 months ago
the problem with scaling out is out is that everything is doubled not just CPU ( RAM, bandwidth , network..). So you burn money on either (up/out)
upvoted 1 times
JimmyYop
1 year, 7 months ago
If you scale out, you are increasing the instance count by using Custom OR Manual autoscaling. With the Scale up, you are changing the App Tier to a higher tier with more processing power 'awssecuritynewbie' answer is correct.
upvoted 1 times
klexams
1 year, 10 months ago
- the chart shows 6 hrs interval. so 24/6 = 4 times. - for CPU you need to scale UP.
upvoted 3 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...