exam questions

Exam DA-100 All Questions

View all questions & answers for the DA-100 exam

Exam DA-100 topic 1 question 16 discussion

Actual exam question from Microsoft's DA-100
Question #: 16
Topic #: 1
[All DA-100 Questions]

You have a Microsoft Power BI report. The size of PBIX file is 550 MB. The report is accessed by using an App workspace in shared capacity of powerbi.com.
The report uses an imported dataset that contains one fact table. The fact table contains 12 million rows. The dataset is scheduled to refresh twice a day at 08:00 and 17:00.
The report is a single page that contains 15 AppSource visuals and 10 default visuals.
Users say that the report is slow to load the visuals when they access and interact with the report.
You need to recommend a solution to improve the performance of the report.
What should you recommend?

• A. Increase the number of times that the dataset is refreshed.
  • B. Split the visuals onto multiple pages.
  • C. Change the imported dataset to DirectQuery.
  • D. Implement row-level security (RLS).
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C 🗳️
DirectQuery: No data is imported or copied into Power BI Desktop.
Import: The selected tables and columns are imported into Power BI Desktop. As you create or interact with a visualization, Power BI Desktop uses the imported data.

Benefits of using DirectQuery -
There are a few benefits to using DirectQuery:
✑ DirectQuery lets you build visualizations over very large datasets, where it would otherwise be unfeasible to first import all the data with pre-aggregation.
✑ Underlying data changes can require a refresh of data. For some reports, the need to display current data can require large data transfers, making reimporting data unfeasible. By contrast, DirectQuery reports always use current data.
The 1-GB dataset limitation doesn't apply to DirectQuery.
Note:
There are several versions of this question in the exam. The question can have other incorrect answer options, include the following:
✑ Implement row-level security (RLS)
✑ Increase the number of times that the dataset is refreshed.
Reference:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-use-directquery

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Koen123
Highly Voted 3 years, 4 months ago
The answer should in my opinion be B - split visuals over pages. This will reduce the number of visuals to load per time ... hence increase performance.
upvoted 142 times
udicanito
3 years, 4 months ago
for me too. Does not make any sense here the Direct Query, in my opinion
upvoted 2 times
teaparty
3 years, 4 months ago
I think so too!
upvoted 2 times
beny
3 years, 3 months ago
Yes it's B. DirectQuery always lower the performance
upvoted 15 times
Samuel77
2 years ago
B is the right answer
upvoted 1 times
Rsn66
2 years ago
DirectQuery execute data faster than import mode especially if you deal with huge data like that !!!
upvoted 1 times
phoebe01
2 years, 8 months ago
Limit visuals on report pages The above principle applies equally to the number of visuals added to a report page. It's highly recommended you limit the number of visuals on a particular report page to only what is necessary. Drillthrough pages and report page tooltips are great ways to provide additional details without jamming more visuals onto the page.
upvoted 3 times
Watsky
Highly Voted 3 years, 2 months ago
The answer is definitely B. To start, there are 25 visuals of which 15 are custom so those visuals are not optimized like the default ones. Even if all 25 visuals were fast wouldn't change the fact that Direct Query cannot help when you have that many visuals on screen. Each visual will have at least one query sent back to the source. Break it up onto different pages will equal less visuals to render. There's no need to change from import unless the data needs to be closer to real-time or refreshes are failing.
upvoted 27 times
RichardOgoma
Most Recent 1 year, 12 months ago
Selected Answer: B
The report uses an imported dataset that contains one fact table. Setting the storage mode to Import is an irreversible operation.
upvoted 4 times
josipg
2 years, 1 month ago
It's B. DirectQuery won't make 25 visuals on one page load faster.
upvoted 1 times
Nagsks
2 years, 2 months ago
https://maqsoftware.com/insights/power-bi-best-practices
upvoted 1 times
Soksay
2 years, 3 months ago
Selected Answer: C
I guess C is correct
upvoted 1 times
CreateSiteCollection
2 years, 3 months ago
How could DirectQuery improve performance?!
upvoted 3 times
goldy29
2 years, 3 months ago
I believe C outweighs the benefits in comparison to B.
upvoted 1 times
LGWANGWADZA
2 years, 4 months ago
Having too many visuals on one page slows perfomance. The correct answer is B. Split the visuals on to different pages to improve perfomance
upvoted 1 times
BLUE_BUBBLES
2 years, 4 months ago
There is also a limit on the number of rows a Direct Query will return. If it's over 1 million rows the query will fail. So best bet is to redo the visualisations and their interactions.
upvoted 2 times
GopalBhau
2 years, 4 months ago
Selected Answer: C
This question was in the exam on 21/05/2022. Maximum people are suggesting `B` as the correct answer here, however, it was not there in the options. I passed the exam and chose `C` as the answer. Guess it's correct
upvoted 2 times
REINORK
2 years, 2 months ago
Hello, can you answer me? I have one question
upvoted 2 times
ismailqtr
2 years ago
You may have gotten a different question. B is the logical answer for the following reasons : 1.file size is not an issue (pro capacity is up to 1GB) 2.Imported data has best performance vs Direct Query (server connection/gateway by pass) 3. the question is about loading visual and not refreshing the dataset
upvoted 3 times
GopalBhau
2 years, 4 months ago
This question was in the exam on 21/05/2022. Maximum people are suggesting `B` as the correct answer here, however, it was not there in the options. I passed the exam and chose `C` as answer. Guess it's correct.
upvoted 1 times
dmhd
2 years, 5 months ago
B shoud be the answer. The Dataset is not that large(look at the file size) despite the millions of coloums. Moreso, refresh is not that frequent. But looking at the number of visuals in one report, that is enough to slow performance
upvoted 1 times
zps55051
2 years, 5 months ago
The answer should be B. It's a common known best practice to reduce visuals to improve performance. Alshttps://www.examtopics.com/exams/microsoft/da-100/view/4/#o, Direct Query DOES NOT improve performance vs Import.
upvoted 1 times
datavan
2 years, 5 months ago
B is the action to improve the interaction.
upvoted 2 times
PowerBIAddict
2 years, 5 months ago
The way this question is worded I would go for B. The focus on the number of visuals is the main clue.
upvoted 2 times
afyanor
2 years, 5 months ago
I will go with B, because of the 1milion limit for cloud sources
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...