Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.
exam questions

Exam AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional All Questions

View all questions & answers for the AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional exam

Exam AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional topic 1 question 702 discussion

A company has a three-tier application running on AWS with a web server, an application server, and an Amazon RDS MySQL DB instance. A solutions architect is designing a disaster recovery (DR) solution with an RPO of 5 minutes.
Which solution will meet the company's requirements?

• A. Configure AWS Backup to perform cross-Region backups of all servers every 5 minutes. Reprovision the three tiers in the DR Region from the backups using AWS CloudFormation in the event of a disaster.
  • B. Maintain another running copy of the web and application server stack in the DR Region using AWS CloudFormation drift detection. Configure cross-Region snapshots of the DB instance to the DR Region every 5 minutes. In the event of a disaster, restore the DB instance using the snapshot in the DR Region.
  • C. Use Amazon EC2 Image Builder to create and copy AMIs of the web and application server to both the primary and DR Regions. Create a cross-Region read replica of the DB instance in the DR Region. In the event of a disaster, promote the read replica to become the master and reprovision the servers with AWS CloudFormation using the AMIs.
  • D. Create AMIs of the web and application servers in the DR Region. Use scheduled AWS Glue jobs to synchronize the DB instance with another DB instance in the DR Region. In the event of a disaster, switch to the DB instance in the DR Region and reprovision the servers with AWS CloudFormation using the AMIs.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
hbrand
Highly Voted 2 years, 12 months ago
My pick would be A. https://docs.aws.amazon.com/aws-backup/latest/devguide/cross-region-backup.html C and D don't really make sense to me. EC2 image builder is for deploying an creating new AMIs. Glue is for data integration. With B I am not sure how drift detection would help as that would just allow a rollback and is not geared towards backup. Also A seemed to be the only one that addressed backing up the web and app servers along with RDS.
upvoted 13 times
sashenka
2 years, 10 months ago
[C} It can'b be A becasue cross-Region backup of a large RDS MySQL could take more than 5 minutes and in fact often takes 1+ hrs. This is done with a cop;y and not a continuous replication. So a backup job would not complete fast enough to be able to meet the 5 min RPO.
upvoted 10 times
peddyua
2 years, 7 months ago
you didn't read the article... "With this feature, database and backup administrators are able to reduce their recovery point objective (RPO) to 5 minutes or under, directly from the AWS Backup console." We use AWS Backups+Terraform at work for our DR Scenario.
upvoted 2 times
PatrickLi
2 years, 7 months ago
while this is true, it requires the point-in-time recovery feature of AWS backup. Option A didn't say that and implies it uses the normal snapshot based backups, which won't meet the RPO
upvoted 3 times
SandyIndia
1 year, 9 months ago
While an instance-level full backup runs once a day during your preferred backup window, transaction log backups are initiated every 5 minutes. Because additional time is required to copy transaction logs to remote Regions, the RPO for the cross-Region backup may run around 5 or more minutes behind the source Region.
upvoted 2 times
SandyIndia
1 year, 9 months ago
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/database/managed-disaster-recovery-with-amazon-rds-for-sql-server-using-cross-region-automated-backups/ While an instance-level full backup runs once a day during your preferred backup window, transaction log backups are initiated every 5 minutes. Because additional time is required to copy transaction logs to remote Regions, the RPO for the cross-Region backup may run around 5 or more minutes behind the source Region.
upvoted 1 times
futen0326
Highly Voted 2 years, 7 months ago
Selected Answer: C
Answer CANNOT be A, deploying a brand new RDS instance will take >30 minutes. You will use EC2 Image builder to put the AMIs into the new region, but not use image builder to LAUNCH them. To me the answer is clearly C.
upvoted 5 times
razerlg
2 years, 6 months ago
it doesn't matter how long it takes to deploy the RDS. Question is only asking about RPO, not RTO.
upvoted 6 times
dev112233xx
1 year, 5 months ago
I think this tricky question intended to check if you know the different between RPO and RTO
upvoted 2 times
junehc
Most Recent 10 months, 2 weeks ago
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/storage/point-in-time-recovery-and-continuous-backup-for-amazon-rds-with-aws-backup/ - this link supports A.
upvoted 1 times
Jesuisleon
1 year, 4 months ago
Answer is C and can't be A. RPO is just 5 minutes means the time span between the latest backup timestamp and the crash timestamp is 5 minutes. when you do AWS Backup, it usually takes more than 1 hour. Clearly you need read replica or global database.
upvoted 1 times
[Removed]
1 year, 7 months ago
RPO of 5 mnutes requires an warm stndy or pilot light environment. Id say C is the only option here
upvoted 1 times
evargasbrz
1 year, 9 months ago
I'll go with C https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/storage/point-in-time-recovery-and-continuous-backup-for-amazon-rds-with-aws-backup/
upvoted 1 times
breathingcloud
1 year, 11 months ago
RTO is not provided hence we are covered with option A
upvoted 1 times
dcdcdc3
2 years ago
This article describes continuous backup for RDS (not Aurora, not EC2, just RDS) with AWS backup (RPO under 5 min), which means that backups of all servers every 5 minutes is NOT possible, only RDS can be handled, I think I will have to go with C: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/storage/point-in-time-recovery-and-continuous-backup-for-amazon-rds-with-aws-backup/
upvoted 3 times
skywalker
2 years ago
Between A and C... I go for C ... Time to restore the data will take times.. and having AWS CloudFormation also take time to rebuilt the infras.... all within 5 minutes is questionable. On C, AMI, and Database are already in place on DR site. Just need to activite the failover to make the DR become production.. All this can happen in 5 mins... Thus my pick i C.
upvoted 2 times
pixepe
2 years ago
C is Correct; Note that we have aggressive RPO. Now, Disaster Strategy - Cold DR (Backup & Restore) vs Hot DR (active to active); due to aggressive RPO => Replication (Hot DR) Article on DR for RDS (though it has SQL server instead of MySQL; concept remains same) - To meet very aggressive RPO and RTO requirements, your DR strategy needs to consider continuous replication capability https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/database/cross-region-disaster-recovery-of-amazon-rds-for-sql-server/
upvoted 2 times
Sathish1412
2 years ago
Selected Answer: A
Because RPO is 5 minutes, not RTO.
upvoted 2 times
foureye2004
2 years, 1 month ago
Should be C https://aws.amazon.com/image-builder/faqs/#:~:text=Image%20Builder%20can%20copy%20AMIs%20to%20selected%20AWS%20regions%20using%20existing%20AMI%20sharing%20mechanisms.%20The%20distribution%20can%20be%20gated%20on%20the%20passing%20of%20tests%20with%20Image%20Builder. If A, it should be included Point-In-Time Recovery https://docs.aws.amazon.com/aws-backup/latest/devguide/point-in-time-recovery.html
upvoted 2 times
TechX
2 years, 3 months ago
I support A, a simple require that need 5 mins of RPO (Not RTO). A meet the requirement with least complexity. Although C would work but it have higher cost when you have active-active model which is not require in the question, I prefer the simpler solution
upvoted 2 times
sudeender
2 years, 4 months ago
A is correct here, promoting RDS Mysql read replica as primary needs to be done manually and also RDS instance has to be rebooted.. this will not meet 5 minutes RPO
upvoted 2 times
aloha123
2 years, 5 months ago
Agree with hbrand
upvoted 1 times
pititcu667
2 years, 7 months ago
A is not feasible because of 5 min restore time. Restore point objective less than 5 min, the limit for aws backup way more than that. The only way to achieve it is with a read replica.
upvoted 1 times
Bigbearcn
2 years, 7 months ago
It's C.
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...